Twit

Monday, October 8, 2018

Review: Secrets of a Wallflower

Secrets of a Wallflower Secrets of a Wallflower by Amanda McCabe
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Dandelion fluff.
This book is like the book equivalent of dandelion fluff.

There isn’t anything wrong with it, rich debutantes at the end of the 1800’s leaving the school room and trying to make their way in the upper levels of London society. There are a few flickers of the characters trying to get out of the cookie cutter trope, but they don’t quite make it. When the main character doesn’t thin she’s pretty just because she has red hair I find myself rolling my eyes.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with a light quick book where the gowns are given a through description, but I found myself a bit bothered by how it glossed over somethings. Princess Alexandria’s deafness is a good example of this, it’s mentioned once, but the character never seems to have an issue with it. Nor is the fact that in real life she had a very heavy accent and tended not to speak very much due to the language barrier and hearing difficulties.

And perhaps that’s the main problem I have with this book; it feels like a sketch of a book that could have really gone deeper with both characters and story, but just floated on top. There is also some choppiness with the plot timeline that I found myself having to check the pages to figure out if I had skipped some at some points.

But a light read, it was nice to read something set during the Paris expedition for a change.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: It's Hard Out Here for a Duke

It's Hard Out Here for a Duke by Maya Rodale My rating: 3 of 5 stars I have not read the first three...